Thursday 9 February 2017

Quetzalcoatl Rampant

........I couldn't resist an unpronounceable title.


Sunday 5th February 2017 - Vapnartak, York

Well it took me less than an hour to reach the venue and parking was straightforward (if muddy).  Entry was free for an old codger (£5 for the working aged). As usual there were plenty of stalls including a number of 15mm manufacturers.  It was also pretty crowded.

My haul included "The Pikeman's Lament" skirmish rules (Osprey) plus 44 Viking blades (Magister Militum & Museum Miniatures).  The only 'plastics' I found were the expensive Perry models plus odd items on the selling tables.

So what were my impressions of the show?  Retrenchment was my feeling.  Ranges seem to have shrunk and continue to do so (this applies to all the shows that I have been to in the past year).  Perhaps this is a reflection of Britain's current economic malaise!

Still probably the best show in the North but.....they really need to sort out the 'Bring & Buy" (throughput is awful).


Monday 6th February - WDW

"The Men Who Would Be Kings" - Colonial bash between Mahdists and Egyptian/Brits.  As expected the Egyptians got a pasting (including the Sudanese) but the Brits also suffered a bloody nose.  
"Cry Havoc" - Ian had discovered some (long forgotten) sets in his loft.  A 3-handed scenario was played out to the pleasure of all.
DBM - Later Carthaginian v Polybian Roman.  Another drawn game but the Roman left and centre were in trouble.


Tuesday 7th February

Whilst meandering through the Internet I discovered  Quetzalcoatl Rampant:

It is a variant on Daniel Mersey's "Lion Rampant"
http://ilivewithcats.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/quetzalcoatl-rampant.html

As regular readers will know I have tried out a number of rule sets for warfare in the New World without being really taken with any of them.  This 'new' set looks interesting but doesn't fit into any of the basing systems that I use.  For "DBA in the New World" my 20mm figures are on 40mm x 40mm bases with 5 (warriors) or 3 (skirmishers) models on them.  My 15mm figures are currently on standard DBM-type bases with a 40mm frontage and various depths.  QR wants individuals with 6 or 12 to a company. 

Some of the club members play "Impetus" or "Baroque" with sabot bases. Integral are small, raised, squares to house tiny dice.  Casualties are not removed directly but indicated by the die.  It seems to work well.  Maybe I can use something similar!


No comments:

Post a Comment