Sunday 11 March 2018

Big Battle DBA v 3.0


Saturday 10th March 2018 - Gt. Houghton

This is the first time that  I have played this variant.  DBA Version 3.0 rules has imposed DBMM dice allocation. 

I took my "Hellenistics" tin along and fielded the army of Antigonos Gonatos.  The inclusion of a Spartan Greek ally was to get a Lh element (AG has none).  My only other option was to take either 4 x 4Wb or 4 x 4Ax. 

Ian had Lysimachid - very similar army but no elephants.

Given the terrain my right wing were given the lowest dice, the centre the highest and the allied command was random.  Ian decided to lead with his left, support with the centre and refuse the right. 

My central attack was successful breaking the opposition (in spite of loosing an elephant).  The two flanks were in trouble at times with my right eventually crumbling.  Intervention by the 'spare' troops, from the centre command broke Ian's right flank.  Game over.

Strangely enough victorious troops are not required to pursue.  Broken troops cannot make any aggressive move(s) - they can only be held or flee.

I made several mistakes including double-ranking my spears and forgetting about side supports.  The Wb and elephants were pretty useless.

An interesting experiment - don't know if I will be in a hurry to repeat it!!!

Game Two:  DBA v3.0 - AG (again) v Gauls.  A steep hill allowed me to close down half the board with a few Aux & Ps.  I massed my remaining troops on the left and overwhelmed the enemy - 4:0. This time the elephant did it's job.



Weekly Roundup:

Monday 5th March - WDW

"Black Orchestra" - boardgame - trying to assassinate Hitler
"King of the Battlefield" - Prussians v others (a mixture)
"Age of Eagles" - French v Prussians
DBM - Early Armenians v Han Chinese - my army had plenty of Aux but all the terrain ended up in my opponent's half of the table.  Still, I had overwhelming numbers so I pushed forward.  The dice gods were not smiling upon me this day - neither in movement nor fighting.  Two of my commands broke.  Their losses were in single figures.


Saturday 10th March 2018 - Horbury Library

Andrew was conducting an ACW game.  I was required elsewhere (see above).


No comments:

Post a Comment